A mind-boggling 314 bottles of nail polish live in my house. Somehow they just keep creeping in!

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Day 4: Water marble





My first water marble post!

Here goes nothing ;)

I had never done a water marble before, and, from the sounds of others' trials and tribulations with it, I didn't really think I'd ever do one.  I mean, I have plenty of ideas for freehand nail art.

But I'm so glad this challenge forced me to try it, because what fun!

I decided to start very simply before hassling with room temperature distilled ionized straight from Mount Olympus water.   I just used average tap water in an average paper dixie cup.

In case I messed up, I chose cheap, opaque polishes. Wet n Wild Red, NYC French White Tip, and Sinful Envy.



Then I used an unfolded safety pin and dragged it around to make a design... then took a deep breath and made my first dip...


Whooooooooooaaaa!! How cool is that?? It totally worked! I'm not sure I can express how excited I was. You'll just have to take my word for it.

Then I repeated the process with the two other fingers on that hand, with good results.

(By the way, I don't regret not taping.  It looks a hot mess, but it all came off for me rather easily with an acetone soaked Q-tip while it was still wet.)

For my thumb, I decided to be brave and I tried red, green, and a metallic silver color.  First I dropped the colors...
Off to a good start...
Then I swirled them, dipped my thumb in....


Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, I missed.  hahahaha.  The pattern looked so good in the water! Not sure how I ended up with an almost all red thumb nail.  Oops.  But it was bound to happen sooner or later :) 

So I re-dipped it, with the red, green, and white again.  Unfortunately I swirled it a bit too much, so it is more mixed than the other fingers, but it's still ok.  I allowed it to stay on my hands ;)

Oh! Cool science! I accidentally dropped one drop of silver from too high up, and it sunk about half way down and stayed suspended there as a sphere! Whoa! You can kind of see it in the above picture.  

Final product: 











Epilogue:

The next day, la-di-da, just minding my own business, I looked down, and my ring finger was missing a corner! *sniff*



This manicure was definitely an attention getter, and inspired me to try more marbling in the future! I can't pick a favorite nail of this manicure, but I can pick a least favorite. ;) Do you like water marbles?



The other bloggers doing this challenge are:


Claire Gallaugher - Purple Fairy Dust All Things Beautiful

Emma Hoop - Manicurity

Kerrie Black- PhishPosh and Polish

Bee Justice - Bee Polished

Zoe Garner - Obsessive Compulsive Nail Painting Disorder

Felicia Banuelos- Confessions of a Nail Polish Junkie

Lisa Armstrong-Waite - Happy Nails

Julie Rivard - Tales of Knit and Nails

Alyssa Dees - No Junk Nail

Arielle Stephenson - Only Always Soccermom 

Merry Christmas!

Maria

10 comments:

  1. I love it! I had the same reaction when I tried marbling for the first time, I couldn't believe it actually worked :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it.. I tried once but I failed real bad. But now I guess I should try again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job! I was so excited the first time I tried water marbling too so can understand your glee :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. do u just drop polish in the water, swirl and apply while still wet? This is sooooo cool, I cheated with my water mani cos I didn't have a clue lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! I love them. I might have to do a festive watermarble myself! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow good job! I'm so intimidated by water marbling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. play bazaar
    play bazaar
    satta king You could go to the doctor and get a prescription to fix it. That said, what do you do when that fails?

    ReplyDelete

  8. Each blog post should include an option to share the content on Facebook or another social media site. That way your visitors can share your blog with their Facebook friends. This will increase the number of visitors to you blog, which should in turn increase sales. Play Bazaar Satta King

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love your comments, and will try to reply to all of them!